From Foodie Crush
SERVES: 16 2-INCH SQUARES
- For the cake
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-pupose flour
- 2½ cups fresh blueberries
- For the topping
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grond cinnamon
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces at room temperature
- For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon, add more if needed
- 2 tablespoons honey or vanilla flavored greek yogurt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, milk, baking powder, and salt. Use a hand mixer to mix well. Mix in half of the flour, then incorporate the remaining half. Fold in the blueberries. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and set it aside.
- Make the topping. Combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a medium-sized bowl. Mix with a pastry cutter or your fingers until combined and crumbly. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake batter. Bake the buckle for 45-50 minute, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Make the lemon glaze. While the cake is baking, whisk the powdered sugar with the lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk in the greek yogurt if using, or add more lemon juice to desired consistency.
- Cut the buckle into squares and drizzle with the lemon glaze.